Lavender Plant is a bushy perennial plant that belongs to the Mediterranean.
In the warm region, its green foliage remains evergreen throughout the year and can thrive in some of the toughest growing conditions. If you’re planning to grow lavender, this article will give you the right direction.
This perennial herb is known for its attractive fragrance, medical properties, and beautiful bluish-purple color. The plant can survive in a wide range of soil, even poor soil. They mainly need lots of sunlight and good drainage.
Plant lavender door side or near the seating area to enjoy their sweet, floral, and woody smell. learn how to care for lavender plants in pots.
When to plant lavender
Lavender is best to plant as a young plant in early spring just after the last frost.
Planting this time gives young plants enough time to accumulate and strengthen to bloom and survive next winter. If you plan to plant in the fall, it’s better to plant large and mature lavenders, to ensure survival throughout winter.
At this time planting a young plant isn’t a good idea, they won’t be able to survive winter. In winter plant’s growth is minimal or nill.
Where to grow
You can plant lavender indoor as well as outdoor. The choice depends upon what you need.
If you want a vibrant ornamental plant that spreads fragrance in the air and makes your indoor smell pleasant, plant in pots.
But, if you have a yard or garden growing section of lavender give your garden a contrasting look. You can also plant different lavender companion plants to make wonderful combinations.
Related post: How to grow, care and harvest Anise hyssop
How to grow Lavender Plant
Lavender can be grown by seeds and division or stem cuttings. But lavender growing from seeds is a bit difficult as compared to other plants.
Seeds take a longer time to grow and establish. If you are a beginner or want easy growth, buy a small starter plant from a nearby nursery.
Or you can try taking a stem cutting from a mature plant. Take softwood stem cuttings of a few inches in the spring season or later in the year when stems are more mature.
Here is how to plant in the garden.
- When planting keep 2-3 feet apart. Lavender plants typically reach one to three feet in height.
- Dip a medium-sized hole and put some potting soil into it. Make a 50/50 ratio of native and compost soil for healthy growth.
- Cover the roots with the soil, so that no roots get visible.
- Water thoroughly after planting will give a good start.
- Spread a thick layer of mulch around the base of the plant to keep the soil moist and protect roots from heat.
How to plant in pots
- Growing lavender in pots is easy. You can bring the inside to protect it from winter.
- Here what to do:
- Take a medium sized pot that has adequate drainage holes.
- Put some rocks or stones at the bottom of the pot to make good circulation.
- Fill the pot with potting soil half mixed with sandy soil to provide good drainage.
- Sow the small lavender division into the soil, do not sow too deep just 2 inches above the roots.
- Water young plants thoroughly till water starts falling from drainage holes to give a good start.
- Spread 2-3 inches deep level of mulch around the base of the plant to keep soil moist and protect roots from heat.
- Place where the pot gets indirect sunlight. As the plant is just planted their roots aren’t established in the soil, direct sunlight might damage them.
- The plant takes nearly two weeks to settle down, then places in the spot where they receive direct sunlight at least for 6-8 hours.
How to Care for Lavender Plants in pots
- Good watering is essential for a plant’s growth. Most of the time people overwater that cause fungal diseases and root rot.
- Water only when the base soil of the plant looks dry. Generally, lavender needs to water once or twice a week depending upon its size and climate condition.
- A mature plant will require more water compared to a small plant.
- If you live in a hot climate region (towards the south US), you have to water more frequently.
- When the plant’s leaves turn yellow-brown it’s a sign that you’re overwatering.
- Also, always water directly in the base of the plant. Watering onto the plant can make foliage and stems wet that increases the danger of fungal diseases.
- You can add a deep layer of mulch around the plant to stop water from evaporating.
- Pruning is very important for plants, it forces plants to grow new foliage and bloom.
- Lavender is pruned right after they bloom and again at the end of the summer to prevent winter damage.
- Pruning in the early fall helps to slow the process of the woody stem and increase flowers blossom in the following year.
- If you have woody plants, prune lightly throughout the growing season for maximum bloom.
- TIP: Prune occasionally if you want them bushier. Keep in mind, flowers are produced at the branch tips and constant tip pruning will reduce flowering.
Feed with an all-purpose water-soluble fertilizer at half strength once a month during the spring and summer seasons. This will provide plant
Harvest Lavender Plant
- Harvest the lavender stems approximately when half of the flower buds have opened.
- Do harvest in the early morning hours when oil is more concentrated.
- Snip off the stem just before flowers open, try to cut as long as possible.
- Gather two stem cutting and tie them with rubber bands.
- Dry the stems by hanging them upside down in cool and dark places where there is good circulation.
- After a few weeks, the lavender gets fully dried and can be shaken gently from the stem in a lidded jar.
- You use them to make a lavender sachet- a lovely gift.
- Use your lavender sachet to keep the towel and sheet smelling sweet, to repel moths.
- If you suffer from insomnia keep it under your pillow. It’s known in aromatherapy to be calming and relaxing and in medical antiseptic.
Avoid ingestion of the plant, while most of our varieties are not harmful, some contain toxins.
Did I Miss Anything?
Now I’d like to hear from you: which tip from today’s post are you going to try first?
Or maybe, I didn’t mention your favorite plant growing tip. Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below right now.
P.S. I myself reply to every comment
Before going if you want to grow beautiful flowers in your garden? Then click on these articles also.