You can easily grow turmeric if you provide them with the proper conditions. It grows like a weed and rewards you with a fresh harvest and attractive tropical foliage.
It is a tropical plant that belongs to the ginger family. They thrive in warm, humid conditions and well-drained soil.
The plant thrives in a green-white stem and a few pink flowers. Turmeric leaves are also edible. The leaves are used in making tea or herb soup.
When to plant
This plant likes warm conditions to thrive. The best time to grow them is after frost. The plant nearly takes 10 months to mature and produce a harvest.
You can start planting them in the USA anytime in late summer. If you live in an 8-11 hardiness zone you can plant them outdoors. In these zones, they grow perennial.
If you don’t live in these zones. You can grow them indoors in a pot by providing proper conditions we’ll discuss further.
How to grow turmeric
I recommend first plant them in a small pot and after they get 3-4 inches tall transplant them outdoors.
For planting, you can buy turmeric from the grocery shop. The problem is they might not thrive. So for good results buy a turmeric plant from a nearby nursery. If you want to grow with rhizomes.
Here is what to do:
- Cut the rhizomes into sections. Every section has 2-3 buds.
- Take a 3 inches wide pot that has an adequate drainage hole.
- Fill half the pot with potting mix soil.
- Put the rhizomes flat in the soil and slightly cover them with the soil.
- Spray water to make the soil moist.
- Keep the pot in full sun. if you live in an area where direct sunlight doesn’t come. Then I recommend using a heat mat.
Related post: How to grow chives in a pot from seeds
How to care for plant
Plant them in the spot where they get full sunlight for at least 6-8 hours.
If you are growing them indoors, place the pot near the windowsill. Direct sunlight is very essential for sprouts.
If you live in an area where sunlight doesn’t come often then I recommend using a light lamp and heat mat to keep your plant warm.
Water is very important for new plants. You have to keep the soil moist, but not soggy.
Spray water in the leaves once or twice a day to keep the humidity up. If you leave the soil to dry out then your final harvest might get reduced.
When seedlings grow about 5-6 inches in height it’s time to plant them outdoors.
- Plant them outside only when all the frost season is gone.
- Begin turning the heat mat down until you hit 70 degrees Celsius.
- At this point, you can remove the heat mat but remember your room temperature must be around 68-degree celsius.
- Don’t plant them directly in your garden.
- First, put the pot outdoors for 2-3 hours for plenty of days to get them comfortable with the outside temperature.
- Planting them directly in the garden may lead to sunburns of tender leaves.
- You can also feed the new plant with a tea bag or fertilizer that is recommended for potatoes.
Related post: 8 Best perennial Herb to grow in the container
Harvest and store
Harvest the plant after 10 months of plating. You will know it’s time to harvest when you notice the leaves are turning brown and dry.
To harvest simply:
- toss the plant out from the soil.
- Shake the rhizomes to remove the soil.
- Wash rhizomes in the water.
- You can store them in the freeze for 6 months.
Did I Miss Anything?
Now I’d like to hear from you: which tip from today’s post are you going to try first?
Or maybe, I didn’t mention your favorite plant growing tip. Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below right now.
P.S. I myself reply to every comment